September 16, 2022, 9:23 pmUpdated on September 17, 2022
Suffolk County officials said it appears cybercriminals are threatening to post the stolen data unless the county cooperates.
They said the social media posts appeared on social media Friday after the county was the victim of a cyberattack last week. One of the posts concerns county court records, state contracts and other personal data of Suffolk residents to be or has been published.
Cybersecurity expert Adam Schwam told News 12. “At the end of the day, there’s nothing they can or shouldn’t do,” cybersecurity expert Adam Schwam told News 12. “They just have to prepare for what they’re going to do. going to happen.”
The attack greatly affected the county sheriff’s department and the traffic court in record-keeping. County departments remained open, but the closure also caused emails to go dormant. Their website is also down and they have gone back to phone, fax and paper.
“Let’s just say you have people out there who have committed some crimes,” added Schwam. “You put that out there, it can hurt them forever.”
County officials could not confirm whether they were aware this information was illegally released, but they would say information posted on the dark web yesterday indicates that a threat actor has claimed responsibility. responsible for the current network failure.